Monday, September 22, 2008

Walking, More Walking and an English Pub(s)





The Big red Building on the right is the International Buidling and is where my I-WHO school and professors are located. I'll take a few classes there enve though it's still under construction.

I did a lot of walking today. I walked about 2 miles to Jubilee Campus, which is on the opposite end of University of Nottingham. I know what your thinking. Why did you get housing so far away from all your classes? The main reason I did is because I didn't know where my classes would be. It was a 50/50 shot and I lost. But I actually like my room.

I did get an interesting offer form a Medieval History postgrad though. Her classes are near Broadgate and she said I could move into her room, since she found a room near Broadgate. But here's the rub: I like it here. I like living so close to a small eclectic town, with cheap grocery prices. I like my spacious room. I want to buy a bike, so I can just ride my bike to the other campus, because I want to lose weight. All very good reasons to stay. Not to mention the wonderful friends I've made, just today. I'm making my sticking point the bathroom. If there's no bathroom in the room, I'll have to decline. I've had enough of sharing a bathroom. Four years of it, five if you count the weekends I had to share with Keimo, Lorna and their brood. So that's non-negotiable. I love my bathroom. Sure, it's small, and I have to get up extra early just to take a hot shower. But it's MINE. The only downside to my sticking point is the price. I would love to pay 2,000 less pounds. I would be ecstatic. But if I'm unhappy in my environment, it will reflect in my work. If I can't work, there's no point in my being here at all.

I also went out to a genuine English pub. I got a single tall cran and vodka, then a half pint of cider. I liked the cider. It was sparkling and had a sweeter taste to it than beer. Not bad for spending about 4 pounds. I also got to chat with some very cute boys, which is always a plus for me. Mostly because it doesn't happen often. the first was Ben, who is English and doing his postgrad work in international law. He has plans to become rich, he mentioned laughingly. Great to find a guy with a sense of humor about his ambitions. the next guy was a German named Andre. Who was sooo hot. Kind of quiet, but it was loud, and talking was difficult. He even hugged me before we said goodbye. I gave him my email, and he just emailed me right away, which is a good sign. I think. I definitely want to see him again.

0 comments: