Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Vacation is Calling Me...

I can't wait for Christmas vacation! Although I need to write a paper by the 10th and I'm dragging my feet. At one point this week or the next I'm going to have to stop researching for the paper, and eventually write it. Getting started is always the most difficult. But once I've started, interrupt me at your own risk.

For Thanksgiving I went out with some of my friends to a pub called The Last Post, had a nice meal and apple pie. A random British person even came up to the table and wished me a Happy Thanksgiving, which was very nice of her. There was no turkey consumed, but it was fun nonetheless. As we were walking out the door though, I forgot that I hadn't left any tip. I explained to the others I wanted to go back and leave something, but they all protested, saying I wasn't supposed to at a chain restaurant. It looked like a cross between a family place and a pub, so I thought, given that it was a sit down place with silverware and real food that I was supposed to. But apparently it was viewed more like a McDonald's or a Subway. I still feel bad for not leaving something. But I figure they knew British etiquette better than I and left.

During this last week I also went to the German Christmas Market at the Old Market Square in town.

I got a little lost on the way, but I found this really cool looking tunnel-walkway place all lit up.

I had a "bell-ee-na" (no idea how to spell it properly in German) it was essentially a jelly-filled doughnut, fried potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms. I was so stuffed, but everyone still wanted to head over to the oldest pub in England.

Had a pint of Strongbow (cider) and tried to digest all the food.

Archery has been mixed results this week. On Wednesday the string continued to smack my arm and my score was so erratic I simply had to stop. I have a lovely bruise to prove it. It's my worst yet.

So I finally broke down and bought a long arm guard. Then on Friday two experienced archers helped me to figure out what my problem was. Apparently I was standing wrong, and locking my elbow which is a big no, no. How was I supposed to know? But I got around six or seven 10's which makes me happy. Everyone went to a local pub afterward and for some reason I was targeted by a very drunk British man. All I said to him was he was he was spilling his drink on himself and the floor. I have a difficult time understanding a thick accent, and a drunk accent does not help. Luckily he never realized I was American. He was eventually led away by the bartender and was cut off for the rest of the night.

Well, that's been the latest exciting events of my life. Two more weeks till vacation and I have to write four more papers by January 26th and study for three exams on January 12th, 13th and the 15th. Yeah.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Pictures are awsome. You are so missed. Thanksgiving was wonderful for us we ate 2 big meals. LOL My family ate at my sister's farm and then we came home and ate again. Man it was good. But no buttermilk pie or was it custard pie that you like??? I wish we could come and see you. What are you doing for Christmas?? I will write soon. Ps Carl is doing much better. Love Laura

Anonymous said...

The bruise looks very sore. The pictures are great. We will sure miss you on Christmas Eve this year.

Anonymous said...

So enjoy looking at the pictures. And that bruise is nasty!!! Glad you finally got an arm guard and someone finally helped you. can't wait till you say you got to 400!! That will be exciting. Thanksgiving here was good. Just us and the kids. Getting ready for Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Well, Monica I think your bruised arm in fact is the result of being trampled by a line up of 'reindeer'while you were
taking their pictures. I hope you learned your lesson not to fool with an alpha (fawns are fine)and always ask permission before aiming cameras around. Or maybe you were beat with pickled cucumbers?? Really, USA pickles
would never do that much damage.
Thinking of you and enjoying your stories passed on by your favorite mom. Happy New Year!! Nancy LaM.