Monday, December 1, 2008

Foot in Mouth...

This just happened and I can't resist writing about it. I laughed so hard my eyes teared. I had just come from the Medical Library to get some counselling books and I was standing at the bus stop to go back to my room. There was a guy and a girl at the bus stop too. The guy was Indian and the girl English, and they were obviously flirting and having a grand time. He then began to tease her about her major, American Studies.

"But most Americans cannot even find their own country on a map!" He exclaimed loudly.

Up until this moment I had been standing quietly off to the side, not saying a word, completely ignored. But this was too good an opportunity for me to pass up. It was like the moment was handed to me on a golden platter.

I abruptly turned to him and said calmly with my obvious American accent, "Actually, most of us can." And I smiled.

The girl made a loud noise of embarrassment, something near a scream, but not quite and the guy had a stupid, dumbfounded look on his face. She then started to smack his chest and exclaim, "You are not allowed to say anything offensive again!"

I couldn't stop laughing, as the kid tried to apologize profusely, but the look on his face was priceless.

When I got on the bus I learned the girl was in her last year completing her undergraduate and wanted to go to Milwaukee to get her masters. Then she wanted to eventually get her PhD and move to Utah where her relatives live. She talked with me mostly because she really likes America. The Indian guy sat a few rows back in the crowded bus, and when we all got off he apologized again. I said I took no offense, but I hope he learned his lesson. Making broad statements about another culture and place just illustrates to others how ignorant and narrow-minded you are. And you may never know whose standing next to you when you say something stupid.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see the looks on their faces.