Friday, May 8, 2009

Don't Touch!!

These two words were what I kept telling Mom while we strolled through Harrods department store in London. If you have never heard of this place, it's like Neiman Marcus on steroids or Bloomingdale's on crack. To demonstrate to Mom how ridiculous this place was, I pointed out the price of an umbrella.

£95.00 ($144).

For an UMBRELLA.

To amuse myself and your illustrious selves I went onto Harrods website to find some of these ridiculously priced items. Granted nothing could compare to Mom almost touching an £8,000($12,126.40) vase, before I could grab her hand and repeat, "Don't touch" and then point to the price tag. But I can't blame her, I was just as gobsmacked the first time I entered its hallowed halls.

Teddy Bear =
£299.00/$453.22

Itty Bitty Clutch Purse (crocodile, of course) =
£1,100.00/$1,667.38

Smallest Bottle of Cognac Know to Man =
£1,250.00/$1,894.75

Picture Frame (with Swarovski crystals, of course) =
£2,050.00/$3,107.39

Fancy a Game of Billiards (with cue cabinet, of course) =
£1 million/$1,517,050.03

1 comments:

Mom said...

I think the whole trip was role reversal. I was just amazed that people would actually pay for an item that was so ridiculously priced! Does a 99 pound umbrella last any longer than our 5 euro umbrella we got in Rome. Well, maybe! The one you got you had to give it back to the man cause it was broken when you opened it. You wrecked him business.