Friday, February 6, 2009

Sneezing, Snowing, Shooting...

I'm sick. I woke up yesterday with a severe head cold and migraine. Today, I can't stop sneezing. It's so annoying! I have to go to archery tonight, I can just see myself sneeze at the exact moment I shoot an arrow, and it crashes into the wall and breaks. Or hits someone. Hopefully everyone will be safe from my lethal sneezes.

My cold I'm sure was spurned on by all the cold weather and snow Britain has been getting. In the midlands, where I am, there is possibly 6 inches of snow and the whole place is in a deadlock. In Wales, they had over a foot of snow. They simply don't have the resources to deal with this amount of snow. This is the most they've gotten in nearly 20 years. There are salt shortages for the roads, and not enough machines to clear the roads of snow.

Yesterday, the one thing I did was order a new sight and string for my bow. The sight is slowly mal-functioning, because it's a cheap one. The string is slowly unraveling, and it's a safety issue to keep shooting with it. I was surprised today that it came. So quickly and with snow on the roads! The delivery man looked at my last name, and I got the comment, "That's an interesting name? Where's it from?"

Spain.

No I'm not Spanish.

I inherited the name from my half-brother.

No he's not Spanish.

It's a long story.

All the while I'm thinking, 'Just give me my package already. I have a strange last name. So what?'

My last name seems to be of endless fascination for the British People. In America, I barely get a second-glance at my name. And only then to ask how it's pronounced. Here, I'm grilled on it's origins, my ancestry, everything, by perfect strangers. It's so disconcerting.

Maybe I should have just sneezed on him.

0 comments: