Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Name is Not What I Am. Thank you very much...

Since coming to England, I've had more than a few comments about the origins of my name. Today was the strangest yet.

"Hi, my name is Monica."

"Moe-nee-cah. Sounds like an Indian name." Says the Indian girl.

This is the latest in a long-line of guesses to the origin of the name "Monica". Since September, my fellow students and British locals have guessed where I come from soley on the basis of my name. So let me set the record straight. I am not Spanish, Mexican, Indian, Arabic, Eastern European, Irish, Scottish, South African, Canadian, or South American. The only guesses I haven't got are Asian names, for obvious reasons.

Here's a description for any who may have doubts about where the name comes from.

MONICA
Gender: Feminine

Usage: English, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian

Pronounced: MAHN-i-kə (English)

Meaning unknown, most likely of North African or Phoenician origin. In the 4th century this name was borne by the North African saint Monica of Hippo, the mother of Saint Augustine, whom she converted to Christianity. Since the Middle Ages it has been associated with Latin moneo "advisor" and Greek monos "one". As an English name, Monica has been in general use since the 18th century.

So, Please, Please, do not ask me this again people. Guessing where I'm from based on my name will get you no-where. My name does not tell you anything of my ancestry and my last name certainly does not help matters. I know and accept this.

I'm AMERICAN.

I'm allowed to have a mixed-up name with no perceivable cultural tie to my ancestry. Americans borrow other cultures, we're funny like that.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so your from new york...........Vfr in seattle