Friday, December 26, 2008

Why Did the Deer Cross the Road?

Merry Christmas Everyone! And a Happy New Year! I hope everyone had fun stuffing themselves with homemade baked goods, ripping open brightly colored packages, and maybe getting a little tipsy. While this is all well and good for you, I decided to forgo all of that and come up with something a little different this year.

Nearby, just a 5 minute walk from my building is a park, Wollaton Park, that is populated by rich people who love to golf in funny outfits, ducks, coy fish, old palace-looking mansions and strangely enough, deer. I know what your thinking, besides where I'm going with this blog. "Deer, is that legal?" Apparently, here in England, it is. Not really knowing what deer eat, but figuring they had about the same digestive system as horses, I brought some carrots. Specifically two bags full of carrots. Why, you may ask? Because I had nothing else to do on Christmas, since everything else was closed. Plus, carrots are much cheaper than apples (which I know for a fact they eat).

So after wandering around, seeing these strangely haunted-looking buildings:


I spotted a group of male deer that resembled reindeer. If you look closely the two on the far right have their antlers interlocked. A few times they would half-heartedly charge and fight with their antlers. I don't know why, since mating season is supposed to be over.

Then I saw that the leader of their group was eyeing me rather strangely, so I threw a carrot in the grass to entice him to cross the road to investigate.

What was strange to me is that the deer suddenly got in a line to cross the road. this is particularly funny if you have ever been to England, because the people here are weirdly obsessed with lining up or "queuing" for everything and get rather grumbly if you cut to the front of the "Que". To see the English deer do this was understandably weird.

Once the Alpha crossed, then the herd followed:



He sniffed at my offering, found it lacking and moved on. Really exciting! Not really, unless you consider how close I got to the animals while taking the photos. You could stand mere feet away from them before they shied away. Amazing!

Then I went back to my room, ate lunch with a chocolate dessert and took a nap. When I woke up around 9 pm I waited around by reading my romance book until 4 am to call my mom and the family. And then promptly went back to sleep.

Your probably thinking, "No presents! That's a crime." Not really since I bought myself a Hoyt bow a week earlier and my mom sent me Sourpatch Kids candies and socks. The former my favorite comfort candy and the latter, because my mom is such a "mom". But I love them just the same because they are knee high and warm.

For the next few weeks I am going to disappear again because I have more studying to do that is conceivably possible. But I'm going to make the effort to tackle all of it. Well, most of it.

So if I don't blog until February, just know it's not because I am spurning my readers, it's because my lecturers and tutors have a sadistic twist of mind.

So, I shall blog in the next year and stay safe and study hard.

0 comments: