Monday, June 8, 2009

BBQ Mayhem & Slow Supervisors

So yesterday I went to the Archery BBQ, which ended up as being more chemistry-themed as the evening progressed. The weather was dismal in the morning. The heavens had opened up and the BBQ was in serious question. Nevertheless, the show went on and chaos reigned. It may have included a pre-BBQ show of lighting “water” on fire in the BBQ, on the patio, wet grass, and in the hedge. The best bit was watching everyone trying to extinguish the “water” from the wet grass only to have the flames spring back up twice as large. Fifteen minutes later we finally put all the flames out. There may also have been some shaving cream fights? Cream cracker eating contests? And possibly drunken readings and mocking of my romance reading tendencies. Maybe.

Other than that, I’m trying to get my supervisor to approve my project proposal so I can go home and conduct interviews. Finding a national helpline for people with financial crises that hasn’t been scamming people is difficult to find. There are so many! I ended up picking two that had no complaints. Which one is better is anyone guess. Then thinking up relevant open-ended interview questions was the next task that took some time. I think I nailed it down to ten questions that hopefully give me some good information and themes for my dissertation. At this point I’m just crossing my fingers and praying everything comes together soon. If it doesn’t I may find myself seriously pressed for time in August. My main problem right now is getting timely responses from my supervisor. It takes her forever and a day to respond to me, and forget deadlines. She breaks even the ones she gives herself.

Weather: Low, angry clouds with glimpses of sun.
Reading: Anything on Thematic Analyses.
Discovery: “Water” is actually flammable.
Mood: I want to strangle my supervisor. Slowly.
Word of the Day: Nous - Good sense; shrewdness: "Hillela had the nous to take up with the General when he was on the up-and-up again" (Nadine Gordimer). *Rhymes with "mouse".

0 comments: